Crispy Smelt or should I call Crispy Dilis but a little bigger and thicker. I don't know the Filipino or Tagalog name of this fish but I know this is one tasty little fish and nutty. What I remember back home we uses this fish a lot in making Kinilaw.
- 1 lb. smelt, cleaned
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup cooking oil
- Combine flour, cornstarch, garlic powder salt and ground pepper.
- Coat fish with flour mixture.
- In a pan, heat cooking oil.
- Shake off excess flour mixture and fry fish in batches, turning frequently until it turns golden brown.
- Remove fish from heat and drain excess cooking oil.
- Place in a serving plate and serve hot with spiced vinegar for dipping.