Bam-I is a type of Pancit originated from Cebu. It is a noodle dish that is made with a combination of Canton and Sotanghon Noodles.
Others uses Bihon but I like the Canton and Sotanghon flavor combined and sautéed in variety of vegetables and meat.
With this recipe I used chicken, shrimp and basic vegetables but if you want to go fancy, check related Bam-I post below.
- 8 oz. pancit canton (excellent brand if available)
- 6 oz. sotanghon
- 1 lb. boneless chicken meat
- 1/2 lb. medium size shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 medium size onion, sliced thin
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 4-5 celery stick, julienned
- 2 cups diced cabbage
- 3-4 chicken knorr cubes
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- 3 cups water or more if needed
- 3 tbs. cooking oil
- 1 stem green onion, chopped for garnishing
- lemon wedges for garnishing
- Soak sotanghon in warm water for few minutes. Cut with scissor and drain excess water. Set aside.
- Heat big wok or deep pan in medium and add cooking oil. Add garlic and onion till transparent.
- Add chicken, sauté and cook for 3-5 minutes. Add shrimp, sauté and cook till it turns pinkish.
- Add chicken knorr cubes, ground pepper, carrots and celery. Cook for 2 minutes. Add bell pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Add water and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add canton and sotanghon. Stir well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add cabbage. Mix well, taste test and season with salt if needed.
- Cover wok and continue cooking for 5 minutes or till noodles are fully cooked. Stir every few minutes to avoid the noodles from sticking in the bottom of the pan. *Remember noodles varies. Some cook faster than other so make sure to keep an eye and if you think the noodles are still not cooked, you can always add more hot water a cup at a time.* By covering the pan, this will allow the noodles to cook in low heat from the steam.* Some brand of Canton are salty than others that is why wait till you get line #6 before adding more salt.*
- Remove pan from heat, transfer in a serving dish and garnish with green onion. Serve with lemon wedges. Enjoy.
RELATED CANTON AND SOTANGHON POST
Chicken Sotanghon Recipe - Healthy Version