- 5-6 chicken legs
- 3 cups lemon soda (7-up or sprite)
- 2 tablespoon lemon or kalamansi juice
- 1/2 cup minced garlic
- 2 thumb size ginger, minced
- 1/2 cup lemongrass, minced
- 1-2 tablespoon sugar (depends on how sweet you want)
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- Combine lemon soda, lemon juice, garlic, lemon grass, ginger, sugar, salt and ground pepper.
- Place chicken pieces in a wide container. Pour in marinade, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Take out marinated chicken from the fridge when ready to grill.
- Prepare the basting sauce by combining achuete, cooking oil and butter. Set aside.
- Remove chicken from the marinade and set aside.
- Grill chicken on hot charcoal for about 10 to 15 minutes on each side or till fully cooked while basting with achuete oil mixture.
- Remove cooked chicken inasal from the grill, place is a serving dish and serve hot with achara and kalamansi or lemon with soy sauce for dipping.
Some do or like to use vinegar instead of lemon soda. If so, use 1 cup of vinegar instead of 3 cups of lemon soda. If you prefer to use vinegar, skip the kalamansi or lemon juice too.