- 2 large (around 2-3 lbs.) tilapia, cleaned and cut into 4
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 thumb size ginger, sliced thin
- 5 cloves of garlic, sliced thin
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- 2 fresh red chili pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon achuete powder diluted in 4 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 can (400 ml) coconut milk (use Chaokoh brand if available)
- Using a wide pan, place ginger then tilapia. Add vinegar, water, garlic, salt and ground pepper. Bring to a quick boil. Once it starts boiling reduce heat to medium. Add chili peppers and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes or till sauce thickens and tilapia is fully cooked.
- Add achuete powder diluted in cooking oil, mix sauce gently and simmer for few minutes.
- Add coconut milk, mix sauce gently and simmer in low heat or till sauce thickens.
- Remove pan from heat, transfer in a serving dish and serve hot. Enjoy!