Ginataang Tilapia is a very flavorful Filipino dish yet very easy to make. This recipe is different from the rest. Inspired from one of Iloilo City best chef, Tilapia simmered in vinegar and other ingredients till sauce thickens then achuete oil and coconut milk added.
This recipe is also known as Adobado in some part of the Philippines.
- 2 large (around 2-3 lbs.) tilapia, cleaned and cut into 4
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 thumb size ginger, sliced thin
- 5 cloves of garlic, sliced thin
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- 2 fresh red chili pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon achuete powder diluted in 4 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 can (400 ml) coconut milk (use Chaokoh brand if available)
- Using a wide pan, place ginger then tilapia. Add vinegar, water, garlic, salt and ground pepper. Bring to a quick boil. Once it starts boiling reduce heat to medium. Add chili peppers and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes or till sauce thickens and tilapia is fully cooked.
- Add achuete powder diluted in cooking oil, mix sauce gently and simmer for few minutes.
- Add coconut milk, mix sauce gently and simmer in low heat or till sauce thickens.
- Remove pan from heat, transfer in a serving dish and serve hot. Enjoy!
Related TILAPIA Post