Ginataang Tilapia is a flavorful Filipino fish dish and easy to make. The tilapia is simmered in vinegar, garlic and ginger until it thickens then achuete oil and coconut milk added. This recipe is also known as Adobado in some part of the Philippines.
- 2 large (around 2-3 lbs.) tilapia, cleaned
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 thumb size ginger, sliced thin
- 5 cloves of garlic, sliced thin
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. crushed chili peppers
- 1 tablespoon achuete powder diluted in 4 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 can (400 ml) coconut milk (use Chaokoh brand if available)
- green onion for garnishing
- Using a wide pan, place ginger then tilapia. Add vinegar, water, garlic, salt and ground pepper. Bring to a quick boil. Once it starts boiling reduce heat to medium. Add chili peppers and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes or till sauce thickens and tilapia is almost fully cooked.
- Add achuete powder diluted in cooking oil, mix sauce gently and simmer for few minutes. Add coconut milk, mix sauce gently and simmer in low heat or till sauce thickens. Add more salt and chili pepper if needed.
- Add green onions and turn off heat. Transfer in a serving dish and serve hot. Enjoy!
Click link below for more delicious recipe;