A dear co-worker who loves fishing gave me like 4-5 lbs of fresh tuna. First thing got into my mind was sashimi but kids won't eat raw fish so kinilaw it is.
Kinilaw is like the Spanish Ceviche. No cooking needed so enjoy!
- 1 lb tuna, cut into bite size
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 thumb size ginger, minced fine
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 2-3 pieces chili pepper, sliced thin (more if you want it more spicy)
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced (optional)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
How to Prepare:
- Using a bowl soak tuna slices in 1/2 cup vinegar.
- Refrigerate for half an hour.
- In a separate bowl mix the remaining vinegar, lemon juice, salt, ground pepper, minced ginger, minced garlic, sliced onion, chili peppers and bell peppers .
- Taste test for desired salty sour taste. Remember you can always add more seasoning if needed. Set aside.
- After 30 minutes drain the tuna and discard the excess vinegar.
- Add the tuna to the vinegar mixture and mix well.
- Now add the coconut milk and mix well.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
- Best when served with iced cold San Miguel.