Fish in Coconut Milk Recipe
Ginataang Isda is fish stewed in vinegar and coconut milk. It's like cooking paksiw na isda but with coconut milk. Easy to make and tasty.
I used Swai fish, a river-farmed catfish. It is a white-flesh fish with a sweet mild taste and light flaky texture. Almost the same as catfish but a lot less slimy.
- 2-3 lbs. swai fish (or catfish), cut into steak
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 thumb size ginger, sliced thin
- 4-5 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 1 chili pepper (optional)
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- Using a wide pan place ginger, half of the onion and half of the garlic.
- Add fish, water, vinegar, salt and ground pepper then top with remaining garlic and onion. Simmer in medium heat for about 5-10 minutes or till vinegar evaporates.
- Add coconut milk, cover pan and simmer in medium low heat for about 5 minutes or till fish is fully cooked and sauce thickens.
- Remove pot from heat, transfer in a serving dish and serve hot.
Note: You can add chili peppers during step number 3 above if you want it spicy.