Papaya with Ampalaya Achara Recipe
Another batch of Achara made. This time with my favorite bitter melon. It's always nice to have an extra jar and an option. Best when served as a side dish for any barbeques or fried dish.
- 4 cups grated green papaya
- 1 large size ampalaya (bitter melon), julienne thin
- 1 small red bell pepper, julienne thin
- 1 medium size carrot, grated
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1 thumb size ginger, sliced thin
- 1/3 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon rock salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1/6 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- Using a sauce pan mix vinegar and sugar. Taste test for desired sweet and sour taste.
- Bring to a quick boil and remove from heat.
- Add turmeric powder and stir. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Sprinkle grated papaya with rock salt and toss well. Pour in 1 cup of water and squeeze out the juice from the papaya. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix pepper corn, raisins, ampalaya, bell pepper, ginger, onion, garlic, carrots and papaya. Toss well.
- Pour vinegar mixture over the vegetables. Toss well and let it stand at least overnight or at least for few hours before serving.
- Store in a dry clean bottle or a plastic ware then refrigerate. Best when served cold.