Another batch of Achara made. This time with my favorite bitter melon. It's always nice to have an extra jar and an option. Best when served as a side dish for any barbeques or fried dish.
- 4 cups grated green papaya
- 1 large size ampalaya (bitter melon), julienne thin
- 1 small red bell pepper, julienne thin
- 1 medium size carrot, grated
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1 thumb size ginger, sliced thin
- 1/3 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon rock salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1/6 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- Using a sauce pan mix vinegar and sugar. Taste test for desired sweet and sour taste.
- Bring to a quick boil and remove from heat.
- Add turmeric powder and stir. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Sprinkle grated papaya with rock salt and toss well. Pour in 1 cup of water and squeeze out the juice from the papaya. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix pepper corn, raisins, ampalaya, bell pepper, ginger, onion, garlic, carrots and papaya. Toss well.
- Pour vinegar mixture over the vegetables. Toss well and let it stand at least overnight or at least for few hours before serving.
- Store in a dry clean bottle or a plastic ware then refrigerate. Best when served cold.