Beef Mechado Recipe
Beef Mechado is made by stewing meat in tomato sauce with potatoes, carrots and bell pepper. It is similar to Kaldereta or Afritada because of the base ingredients used. Beef Mechado is a delicious beef stew best eaten with steam rice.
- 2 lbs. beef with fat, cut into serving size (brisket or chuck arm steak or rib eye steak)
- 2 medium potato, quartered
- 1 large carrot, cut into serving size
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cubed
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- olive oil or any kind of cooking oil
- 3 cups water for boiling meat
- 1 stem green onion for garnishing
- Boil beef in water using a pressure cooker (if available) or a deep pot till fully cooked.
- Fry potatoes and carrots in cooking oil until golden browned. Set aside.
- Once beef is fully cooked, separate beef from the broth and save remaining beef broth for later.
- Using a clean wok or a pan, heat olive and sauté onion and garlic till caramelized.
- Add beef, stir and brown for few minutes.
- Add bay leaves, soy sauce, lemon juice and stir well. Continue to cook for about 5 minutes in low heat.
- Add sugar (optional), tomato sauce, beef broth and stir well. Cook in medium heat for about 10 minutes or till sauce thickens.
- Add bell peppers, fried potatoes, carrots and continue to cook to few minutes or till vegetables is fully cooked.
- Remove pan from the heat, garnish with chopped green onions and stir. Transfer in a serving dish and serve hot and Enjoy!