Pickled Papaya also known as Atchara or Atsara
- 2 large green papaya, shredded
- 1 piece bitter melon, julienne (optional)
- 1 piece red bell pepper, julienne
- 2 pieces thumb size ginger, julienne
- 1 medium size onion, sliced
- 6-8 pieces garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorn
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 cups datu puti vinegar
- 4-5 tablespoon regular sugar
- 4-5 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon rock salt
Step 1: Mix vinegar and regular and brown sugar in a sauce pan. Taste for desired sweet and sour taste. Bring to a quick boil. Remove from heat, add the turmeric for a little color and set aside.
Step 2: Sprinkle shredded papaya with a teaspoon of rock salt and toss well. After few minutes pour 1 cup of water and squeeze out the juices from the papaya using a cheese cloth. Set aside.
Step 3: In a deep bowl mix pepper corn, raisins, bell pepper, ginger, onion, garlic, bitter melon, papaya and toss well.
Lastly: Pour the vinegar mixture over the vegetables. Toss well. Let it stand at least overnight in the fridge before serving.