Baked mussels has always been my favorite and always first to order everytime I am in a Japanese restaurant. Little did I know this recipe is very simple to make and it takes less than half an hour to prepare and to bake.
- 2 dozen half shell mussels
- 2 cup Kewpie (Japanese) mayonnaise
- 2-3 teaspoon Sriracha (hot red chili sauce)
- 2 tablespoon fresh masago (capelin fish roe)
- 1 cup Panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare the mussels and line them on a baking sheet.
- Using a knife, scrape the mussels from the shells and return.
- Using a small bowl combine the Kewpie and Sriracha until smooth.
- Add the masago and stir slowly to distribute it evenly into the sauce.
- Place the mussels in the oven for about 10 to 15 minutes or till golden brown.
- Remove from the oven.
- The mussels is done when the sauce solidifies and is not runny.
- Sprinkle with panko, if desired. Serve hot. Enjoy.