Arroz Valenciana Recipe
Arroz Valenciana, is a special rice dish and the Filipino version of Paella. A perfect dish for the family during the holiday season.
This Arroz Valenciana recipe is a must try. Great for any special occasion, holidays or just because you want to cook something special for the family. Give it a try and let me know.
- 1 lb Sticky (malagkit) rice, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 lb pork, cut into bite size
- 1/2 lb chicken, sliced
- 1/2 lb shrimp, peeled
- 4 chorizo bilbao (Chinese sausage), sliced
- 1 large potato, sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup green peas (guisantes)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 dozen quail egg, (or hard boiled eggs) boil and peeled
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 3 cups of water or chicken broth (add more if needed)
- 1 can (530 ml) pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- green onion for garnishing
- banana leaves (optional)
1. Heat wok and add cooking oil. Saute onions and garlic until aromatic. Add pork slices and cook for few minutes until brown. Add chicken and liver. Stir and cook for a minute. Add liver and Chinese sausage. Cook for a minute. Add turmeric powder and salt to taste. Stir well to combine. Add washed rice and stir to combine. Cook for few minutes while stirring occasionally.
2. Pour in water and pineapple juice. Stir, cover with banana leaves and lid. Simmer for 10 minutes over low heat while stirring in between. Once rice is almost done, add carrots, potato and toss to combine. Add more water if needed. Cover and continue to simmer until rice and vegetable are fully cooked and dry.
3. Add green peas, raisins, bell peppers and quail eggs. Toss to mix well. Cover and continue to simmer until all vegetable are cooked. Stir occasionally.
4. Garnish with chopped green onions (and hard boiled eggs if not using quail eggs) and serve hot. Enjoy!