My favorite Filipino comfort food!
- 2 lbs chicken wings, cut into half (or any chicken part desired)
- 3 pieces sayote or a large green papaya, cut into bite size
- 1 cup pepper leaves or malunggay leaves or both
- 1 stem lemon grass, cut into 4
- 1 small red bell pepper, julienne
- 2 thumb size size ginger, sliced thin
- 1 medium size onion, cut thin
- 2 tablespoon fish sauce salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil 5 cups of water
- Saute ginger and onion using a deep pot in cooking oil.
- When you start to smell the aroma of the ginger add the lemon grass and chicken.
- Season with fish sauce and stir for few minutes.
- Add water, cover pot and bring to boil. When it starts to boil reduce heat to medium low.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked add the slices of sayote to the soup.
- Simmer till sayote is almost fully cooked then add the bell pepper then the malunggay or pepper leaves.
- Season with ground pepper and salt to taste.
- Simmer for few minutes or till the vegetables is fully cooked.
- Remove from heat and serve hot.