It was one of those day where I can't decide what fish to use to make lumpia shanghai so I used milk fish, tilapia and tuna fish. Yes! I made them all but let me share the milk fish (bangus). I bought the boneless bangus to save me lots of time.
- 2 cups cooked and shredded boneless bangus
- 5-6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1/2 cup (diced small) potato
- 1/2 cup (diced small) carrots
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 small can water chestnut, diced
- 2 stem green onion, chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pack lumpia wrapper (menlo brand works best for me)
- Cooking oil (enough to cover the lumpia while frying)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch diluted in 1/2 cup water, microwave till it turn into a paste for sealing the lumpia wrapper.
1. Steam boneless bangus in half a cup of water for 5 minutes. Allow to cool and shred. Set aside.
2. Saute garlic and onion in 2 tablespoon cooking oil till caramelized. Add carrots, potatoes and raisin. Cook for 3-4 minutes in medium low heat. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
3. Add the shredded fish, water chestnut and green onions. Mix well. Season with salt and ground pepper and set aside.
4. Scoop a tablespoon full into the lumpia wrapper, roll and seal wrapper using the cornstarch paste.
5. Repeat #4 till the bangus mixture is all wrapped and ready for frying.
6. Heat frying pan in medium low fire and add cooking oil. Once cooking oil is fully hot you can reduce the fire to low to avoid the lumpia from over cooking too fast.
7. Deep fry a bunch of bangus lumpia for 3-5 minutes till it all turns golden brown.
8. Remove lumpia from oil, place in a bowl lined with paper towel to drain excess cooking oil.
Arrange in a platter and serve with banana ketchup or spiced vinegar or both. Enjoy!