ESCABECHE (SWEET and SOUR) BULGAN RECIPE
This recipe is one of my favorite. Give it a try, worth it!
- 3 lbs bulgan (sea bass) fish (or any kind of white fish)
- 1 small red bell pepper, julienne
- 1 small carrot, julienne
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, sliced thin
- 1 medium-sized onion, cubed
- 2 thumb size ginger, sliced thin
- 1 stem green onion, cut into 4 for garnishing
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 vinegar
- 3 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch, diluted in 2 tablespoon water
- Sugar, salt and ground pepper to taste
- Cooking oil
- 2 pieces sliced pineapple for garnishing
- Fry fish on both side till golden brown.
- Remove from the pan, drain excess oil using a paper towel and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix pineapple juice, water, vinegar, ketchup, salt, ground pepper and sugar.
- Taste test for desired sweet and sour taste. Set aside.
- Saute ginger, garlic and onion for 2 minutes.
- Add carrots and cook for few more minutes.
- Once carrots is fully cooked pour in the vinegar mixture.
- Simmer in medium low fire till is starts boiling then add the bell peppers.
- Pour in the cornstarch diluted in water.
- Simmer for few minutes and remove from heat.
- Arrange fish is a serving platter, pour in the sweet and sour sauce.
- Garnish with slices of pineapple and green onions.
- Serve hot. Enjoy