PINAPUTOK NA TILAPIA, BAKED NOT FRIED
Turned out pretty good and not fishy at all with the help of ginger and cilantro. Try it! Oh yeah and healthier too!
- 2 large whole tilapia
- 1/3 cup diced tomato
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1 thumb size ginger, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- Olive oil (I used one in spray can) or any kind of oil you uses
- Banana leaves, cleaned
- Aluminum foil
- Scale tilapia and remove guts. Make a long slit on each side of the tilapia. That way you can put more stuffing. Set aside.
- Combine tomato, ginger, onion and cilantro in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- *Start the oven in 425 degrees*.
- Microwave banana leaves for a minutes. That way the leaves will soften and easier to use.
- Arrange the aluminum foil. Top with banana leaves and spray or brush with oil.
- Season tilapia with salt and stuff with enough tomato onion mixture.
- Spray or brush the tilapia with more cooking oil.
- Wrap the tilapia with banana leaves and aluminum foil.
- Place the wrapped tilapia in a pan and bake for at least 45 minutes.
- Remove the baked tilapia from the oven, remove aluminum foil but leave the banana leaves and serve hot with your favorite fish dip. I made lemon and soy sauce dip , yummmy!