BEEF PARES RECIPE
A popular Filipino comfort food that is usually served with garlic rice and a bowl of soup. Juicy and tender slow cooked beef in sweet salty sauce seasoned with sesame oil.
- 2 lbs. beef brisket cut into cubes
- 3 pcs. star anise
- 1 tsp. grated ginger
- 6-8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2/ cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon olive or cooking oil
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced and fried
- 1 stem green onion, chopped
- Place beef, half of the onion, 1/4/ tsp. salt and ground pepper in a big pot.
- Cover with enough water and bring to a boil in medium low fire.
- Clear the scum and cook until beef is tender.
- Remove the meat from the stock. Set aside the beef stock for later.
- Using a clean pot saute ginger, garlic and the remaining onion in olive oil till caramelized.
- Add the beef and stir. Season with soy sauce, brown sugar, star anise and ground pepper to taste.
- Add about a cup and a half of beef stock. Stir and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the cornstarch diluted in a little water to the pot and stir till sauce thickens.
Remove pot from heat, season with sesame oil and stir.
Transfer in a serving dish and sprinkle with fried garlic and green onion.
Serve with garlic rice and remaining beef stock topped with green onion.
Post a Comment