Crunchy Fried Shrimp
Kids favorite. Why spend a fortune in a restaurant when you can make it at home. See simple recipe below.
- 1 lb. medium to large size shrimp
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- Salt and ground brown pepper to taste
- 2 cups of cooking oil
- 1/2 cup icy water
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- Clean shrimp by removing the head and shell leaving the tail.
- Using a deep bowl mix flour, baking powder, egg, salt and pepper to taste.
- Slowly add ice cold water, mixing it well.
- Dip shrimp into the batter and dredge battered shrimp into bread crumbs one by one.
- Refrigerate or freeze till ready to fry.
- Fry in batches for 2-3 minutes, turning to brown on all sides.
- Hold by tail when placing the shrimp into oil.
- Remove from oil and place in a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Serve with sweet and sour sauce (I make mine by mixing half and half of chili sauce and ketchup).
I uses Panko Japanese brand bread crumb for extra crisp. If not available you can always make your own by toasting some bread and crumble until reduced to fine crumbs.