Chicken and Shrimp Valenciana
It has been a while the last time I cooked Valenciana so I made some and this time a more simple one. It turned out pretty good and cured my cravings.
For complete Valenciana Ilonggo style recipe click link below:
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 cup glutinous rice
- 1 lb. boneless chicken meat, cut into bite size
- 1/2 lb. shrimp, peeled
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups sprite or 7 up
- 2 hard boiled eggs for garnishing
- chopped green onions for garnishing
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- 4-5 tablespoon olive oil
- Combine glutinous and jasmine rice. Wash well and drain. Set aside.
- Using a wok, sauté garlic, onion and tomato in olive oil till caramelized.
- Add chicken and cook for 5 minutes in medium low heat.
- Season with salt, ground pepper and paprika. Stir well.
- Pour in chicken broth and sprite. Stir well and allow to boil.
- Add shrimp, cook for few minutes then remove the shrimp and set aside.
- Add rice, stir, cover wok and allow to boil for 5 minutes in medium heat.
- Add tomato sauce, stir well and simmer in low heat. Keep stirring every few minutes to allow the rice to cook evenly and won't stick at the bottom of the wok.
- When rice is almost fully cooked add bell pepper and cooked shrimp. Mix well, cover pot and continue to simmer to lowest heat till rice is fully cooked.
- Place in a serving dish and garnish with chopped green onion and eggs. Serve and Enjoy
*Rice varies so remember you can always add more HOT water in instruction #8 if needed.
*Make sure to simmer in low heat to allow the rice to cook evenly. It's like cooking rice in a pot the old fashion way. Once it starts boiling you lower the heat to allow the rice to cook from the steam.