Chicken Asado or Asadong Manok is a Filipino dish from the province of Pampanga. A simple yet delicious chicken and potato dish stewed in tangy sauce.
- 2-3 lbs. chicken, cut into serving size
- 1/4 cup lemon or lime juice or vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 2 pieces tomato, sliced
- 2 pieces potato, cut into 6
- 1 red bell pepper, julienne
- 1 green bell pepper, julienne
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika or achuete powder
- 3 pieces bay leaf
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1/2 cup water
- Combine soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic, salt and ground pepper. Mix in chicken and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Using a wok, heat cooking oil and fry potatoes until golden brown. Set aside.
- Remove chicken from the marinade and save remaining marinade.
- Fry chicken for at least 2-3 minutes on each side. Set aside.
- Saute onion and tomatoes till caramelized.
- Add chicken pieces and water. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining marinade, bay leaves, paprika and tomato sauce. Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or till chicken is tender.
- Add potatoes and bell peppers. Stir and simmer for 5 minutes or till sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat and serve hot. Enjoy!