Papaya Okoy Recipe
Okoy or Ukoy is made from grated papaya, shrimp and other vegetables. I bought the wrong size of shrimp but I can't wait to make this so I went ahead and used what I have. It turned out pretty good so give it a try and make sure use small shrimps.
- 2-3 cups grated green papaya
- 2 small sweet potato, julienne small
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 stem green onion, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon achuete powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or more if needed)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- cooking oil for deep frying
- 1/2 lb. small shrimp (you can feel the shrimp if you want)
- Using a large bowl, combine egg, flour, cornstarch, water, achuete powder diluted in sesame oil, salt and ground pepper. Mix well till smooth.
- Combine batter and vegetables then add shrimp.
- Heat cooking oil is a pan in medium heat until hot.
- Place 3 teaspoon in a large spoon and press 2 shrimp.
- Release mixture into hot oil and fry till golden brown for about 3-4 minutes on each side. I like my okoy extra crunchy so I fried it a little longer.
- Remove from heat and drain in a colander to remove excess oil. Serve hot with spiced vinegar dip. See recipe below.
- 2 tablespoon sweet and sour chili sauce
- 1 cup vinegar
- salt and ground pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
Mix above ingredients and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving as dipping sauce.
Post a Comment