Bicol Express is a popular Bicolano Filipino dish. It is a pork stewed in coconut milk and shrimp paste with lots of chili peppers. You can also use chicken instead of pork in this recipe.
- 2 lbs. pork leg meat, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoon sautéed bagoong (shrimp paste)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 6 to 10 red and green chili peppers, sliced thin
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- Using a wok or a wide pan, heat cooking oil and sauté garlic and onion till caramelized.
- Add pork and cook till it turns golden brown.
- Add shrimp paste and stir well. Cook for few minutes.
- Add water and cook for 10 minutes or till pork is almost cooked.
- Add coconut milk and simmer in for 5 minutes.
- Season with ground pepper and more salt if needed.
- Add chili peppers and stir. Continue to simmer till sauce thickens and pork is fully cooked.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with lots of rice. Enjoy!
Post a Comment