Pancit Bihon is one of the popular noodle dish in the Philippines. You can use pork instead of chicken for this recipe or even both. For healthier recipe stick with the chicken. See step by step recipe below.
- 1 pack 16 oz. bihon noodles (excellent brand is the best for me)
- 1 lb. chicken, any cut with bones
- 1/2 lb. medium size shrimp
- 1 cups cabbage
- 1 large carrot, cut into bite size
- 2 celery stick, cut into half
- 2 celery stick, cut into strips
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (optional)
- 1 tablespoon achuete powder diluted in 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- salt and ground pepper
- 1 stem green onion, chopped for garnishing
- lemon wedges for garnishing
- In a deep pot place chicken slices, 4 cups of water, 2 celery sticks cut in half, half of the chopped onion and half of the minced garlic. Bring into a boil in medium heat for about 30 minutes or till chicken is fully cooked.
- Add shrimp and continue boiling till shrimps turns pinkish then season with salt and ground pepper to taste. Remove chicken and shrimp from the pot. Allow it to cool. Peel shrimp and cut chicken into pieces. Set aside. Discard chicken bones and save the remaining broth.
- Soak bihon in warm water for few minutes till it turns soft. Once soft, drain excess water and set aside.
- Using a wok or a deep pan sauté remaining garlic and onion till golden brown in cooking oil. Add carrots, celery, chicken and shrimp. Stir and cook for few minutes.
- Add around 2-3 cups of chicken/shrimp broth to the pan. Add water if you don't have enough broth. Bring to a boil. Taste test to see if more salt and ground pepper is needed.
- Add achuete oil and mix well. Add soaked bihon and mix well. Add chopped cabbage and mix well. Reduce heat to low and cover pan to allow the steam to cook the bihon while continuously stirring every few minutes to avoid the noodles from sticking to the pan. Cook for few minutes or till all vegetables and noodles are fully cooked. Drizzle sesame oil all over the cooked bihon and mix well.
- Remove from heat and place in a serving dish. Top with chopped green onion and serve with lemon wedges. Serve hot and enjoy!
Click name links below for more Bihon Recipes: