Nilasing na Hipon or Drunken Shrimp is a crispy deep fried shrimp marinated in liquor. Liquor could be gin, wine, beer, brandy or whisky. This dish is good to serve as appetizer or pulutan and as a main or side dish.
- 1 lb. medium size shrimp (cut sides halfway to devein and for easy peeling)
- 1/2 cup beer or any liquor desired
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups cooking oil
For Spiced Vinegar Dip
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced fine
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorn, cracked
- 2 tablespoon sweet chili sauce (optional)
- 1 piece serrano chili or any, sliced thin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a bowl combine all spiced ingredients dip and set aside.
- Using a deep bowl, combine beer, salt, and shrimp. Refrigerate and marinate for at least an hour. Drain shrimp and set aside.
- Place flour, cornstarch and ground pepper in a large covered container. Add shrimp in the container, cover then shake to coat the shrimp.
- Using a wok or a deep pan heat cooking oil over medium heat. Deep fry shrimp until it turns pink and crispy.
- Remove shrimp and place in a paper towel to drain excess cooking oil.
- Arrange in a serving plate and serve with the dipping sauce. Enjoy!