Bangus Escabeche Recipe
Escabecheng Bangus is a popular dish in the Philippines. This dish is not only easy to make but very delicious. Simply fry the fish and top it with the sweet and sour sauce like and serve.
- 2 lbs. Bangus, cleaned and cut into serving size
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 3-4 tablespoon banana or tomato ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, sliced thin
- 1 thumb size ginger, sliced thin
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 1 red bell pepper, julienne thin
- 1 carrot, julienne
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- cooking oil
- Season bangus with some salt and deep fry in cooking oil until golden brown. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine vinegar, water, ketchup, sugar, salt and ground pepper. Mix well, taste test for desired sweet and sour taste. Set aside.
- Using a clean pan, heat 1 tablespoon cooking oil. Saute ginger, garlic and onions till caramelized. Add carrots, stir for few minutes then add bell peppers.
- Add vinegar mixture to the sautéed vegetables. Simmer in medium low heat for 5 minutes.
- Put in the fried fish and simmer for 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer in a serving dish. Top with chopped green onions and serve hot. Enjoy.
RELATED (click name to see recipe)