Maja Blanca is a Filipino dessert made from cornstarch, coconut milk and milk. An easy to make Filipino dessert and this recipe is special, with lots of Latik.
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 can (14 ounces) condensed milk
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) kernel corn, drained
- saved kernel corn liquid (brine)
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut, toasted for topping
For Latik (optional)
- 2 cups coconut milk
For the Latik
- Using a small pan, add coconut milk and bring to a boil. Stir occasionally until it thickens.
- When it starts to thicken reduce heat to low and simmer. Keep stirring as oil starts to separate and Latik begin to form.
- Continue to cook and stir until Latik turns to golden brown.
- Drain to separate oil. Set aside Latik and oil.
- If using Latik, using the coconut oil from making the Latik, brush the serving dish you will be using. (or else just use toasted desiccated coconut for topping)
- Combine kernel corn liquid (brine), evaporated milk and cornstarch. Stir well and set aside.
- Grease container with butter or latik oil.
- In a large pan, combine condensed milk, coconut milk and sugar. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes while occasionally stirring. Add kernel corn, stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and gently pour-in cornstarch mixture and stir well. Keep stirring until mixture thickens to a paste-like texture. Transfer mixture into the serving dish. Smooth top using an oiled spatula.
- Allow to cool and top with kernel corn and toasted desiccated coconut or latik. For best result, refrigerate overnight before serving.