Maja Blanca is a Filipino dessert made from cornstarch, coconut milk and milk. An easy to make Filipino dessert and this recipe is special, with lots of Latik.
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 can (14 ounces) condensed milk
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) sweet kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 cups coconut milk
For the Latik
- Using a small pan, add coconut milk and bring to a boil. Stir occasionally until it thickens.
- When it starts to thicken reduce heat to low and simmer. Keep stirring as oil starts to separate and Latik begin to form.
- Continue to cook and stir until Latik turns to golden brown.
- Drain to separate oil. Set aside Latik and oil.
- Using the coconut oil from making the Latik, brush the serving dish you will be using. Set aside.
- Combine water and cornstarch. Stir well and set aside.
- Using a large pot, combine evaporated milk, condensed milk, coconut milk and sugar. Stir well and bring to a boil. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes while occasionally stirring.
- Add sweet corn, stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and gently add cornstarch mixture and stir well. Keep stirring until mixture thickens.
- Transfer mixture into the serving dish. Smooth top using an oiled spatula. (Oil from making the Latik)
- Allow to cool and top with Latik.
- For best result, refrigerate overnight before serving.