Salt and Pepper Spicy Smelt
Salt and Pepper Spicy Smelt or should I call Spicy Dilis but a little bigger and thicker. I don't know the Filipino or Tagalog name of this fish but I know this is one tasty little fish and nutty. What I remember back home we uses this fish a lot in making Kinilaw.
- 2 lbs. smelt, cleaned
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 stem green onion, chopped
- 1 jalopeno pepper, sliced thin
- 1 to 2 cups cooking oil
- Combine flour, cornstarch, salt and ground pepper.
- Coat fish with flour mixture.
- In a pan, heat cooking oil.
- Shake off excess flour mixture and fry fish in batches, turning frequently until it turns golden brown.
- Remove fish from heat and drain excess cooking oil.
- Using a clean pan, heat a tablespoon of cooking oil.
- Saute garlic until it turns golden brown. Add slices of jalopeno peppers and green onions.
- Toss fried smelt fish with the garlic pepper mixture. Mix well.
- Remove from the pan, arrange in a serving plate and serve. Enjoy!
Post a Comment