Chicken Halang Halang
Chicken Halang Halang is a Visayan Spicy Chicken recipe cooked in coconut milk. It is basically a mash up between Chicken Tinola and Ginataang Manok. This chicken stew has a rich, creamy and spicy sauce. You can always adjust the amount of chilies you want to use so all depends on your taste.
- 2 lbs. chicken cut into serving sizes
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 thumb size ginger, minced
- 1 stack lemon grass, cut into pieces
- 1 small green papaya, peeled and cut into serving size
- 1 cup malunggay leaves or pepper leaves
- 1 red chili pepper, sliced
- 1 green chili pepper, sliced
- 2 tbs. fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- salt if needed
- 2 tbs. cooking oil
- 1 cup water or chicken stock
- Using a deep pot or a wok, heat in medium heat and add cooking oil. Add onion, garlic, ginger and cook until limp.
- Add chicken pieces and cook while stirring occasionally until chicken turn medium brown for about 5 to 10 minutes. Add lemon grass. Stir and continue cooking for about 5 minutes.
- Season with fish sauce and ground pepper. Add water or chicken stock and stir. Cook for few minutes.
- Add coconut milk and chili peppers. Stir, simmer and cover. Continue cooking until chicken is fully cooked and sauce starts to thickens for about 20 minutes.
- Add papaya and cook until papaya is tender. Add malunggay or pepper leaves. Stir and cook for few minutes. Season with more salt if needed.
- Remove pot from heat and serve hot. Enjoy.
RELATED (click name link to see complete recipe)