In between Asian grocery store we still have to do our weekly grocery run and lucky us we have a Super Walmart that is open 24/7 for our daily basic needs like toiletries, fruits, meat and vegetables. While checking the seafood area to our surprise they do sell around 4 inches headless Whiting fish also know as Asohos in Filipino. My hubby who think he is a fish pro requested this asohos fish cooked in coconut milk instead of just deep fried in batter and he was right, it turned out good.
Asohos or Whiting fish is a shimmering silver fish. It has a delicate texture and is very mind in flavor. So remember when cooking this recipe try not to move this fish or else it will easily fall apart.
This recipe is pretty simple just like cooking Paksiw na Isda with coconut milk. Easy to make and delicious.
- 1 lb asohos or a choice of fish, cleaned and pat dry
- 1/2 cup datu puti vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk or 13.5 oz can chaokoh coconut milk
- 2 thumb size ginger, sliced thin
- 5 cloves ginger, sliced thin
- 1 medium size onion, sliced thin
- 1 stem lemon grass, cut into 3
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 stem green onion, chopped
- Using a wide pan or a wok, arrange slices of ginger and lemon grass then top with the fish.
- Pour in vinegar and water followed by the garlic and onion.
- Season with ground black pepper and salt.
- Bring into a quick boil for few minutes then reduce heat to simmer. Cover wok and continue cooking for around 5 minutes.
- When liquid reduces to half, pour in coconut milk.
- Cover and simmer in medium low heat for 2 minutes.
- Remove cover and taste test if more salt is needed.
- Continue to simmer for 5-10 minutes until liquid reduces to half.
- Remove wok from heat and transfer in a serving dish.
- Top with chopped green onion and serve hot. Enjoy.