Yesterday we got knocks on our door which does not happen often and it was our good neighbor. She was all smiling as she handed me a plateful of fresh picked jalapeno from her garden. Thank you neighbor!
I am not big on spicy food, okey sometimes and it depends on the dish so it got me thinking what to make out of this plateful of fresh jalapeno as I don't want it to go to waste. I like pickles specially papaya achara so that gave me idea.
I did not waste any time so I rinsed and rinsed and started cutting then I start to feel the burn from my nose to my eyes. Kids started complaining too but there is no stopping now.
- 18 small jalapeno peppers
- 1 medium carrot, sliced into rounds
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- a pinch of oregano
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- Using a sauce pan, heat and add olive oil.
- Add carrots and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Add onions, whole peppercorns and bay leaves. Stir and cook for a minute.
- Add jalapeno peppers and stir. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add water, vinegar, sugar, salt, oregano. Stir and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and transfer vegetables in an airtight container.
- Cover vegetables with the liquid and let it sit.
- Allow to cool and refrigerate. Enjoy.
(click name link below to see complete recipe)