Ginataang Hito (Catfish in Coconut Milk)
Give this simple Ginataang Hito recipe a try and share with family and friends. With this recipe, I used store bought frozen fillet and ready to use catfish in a 2 lbs bag from our local Walmart store. Better to use fresh catfish but I am happy our local and one of the only two grocery store in my town carries few variety of fish.
Catfish is a fresh water or marine fish with barbels resembling whiskers around the mouth, typically bottom-dwelling. Catfish have a mild flavor and makes a great fried, grilled and baked fish.
- 2 lbs catfish fillet
- 1 1/2 can coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 tsp achuete powder diluted in 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 thumb size ginger, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili pepper flakes
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- In a deep pan, heat over medium-low and add cooking oil.
- Add ginger, onions, chili pepper flakes and garlic. Saute for 2 minutes until aromatic.
- Add water and vinegar. Simmer for few minutes.
- Add achuete oil and coconut milk. Stir and bring into a quick boil. Simmer for few minutes.
- Add catfish and bring into a quick boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes or until fish is fully cooked and sauce thickens.
- Season with ground pepper and salt to taste.
- Transfer in a serving plate, top with fried jalapeno and serve hot with steam rice. Enjoy!
(click on name link below the picture to see complete recipe)
|Bangus ala Pobre|
|Fried Daing na Galunggong|
|Galunggong Fish Sarciado|
Post a Comment