Chicken stewed in ginger broth also known as Chicken Tinola or Tinolang Manok is a delicious Filipino soup where chicken is sauteed and simmered in broth with delicious vegetables.
Chicken Tinola is easy to cook and very comforting. A perfect dish during cold weather or if a family member is feeling under the weather.
Stewing chicken or stewing hen is used in this recipe and it turned out really refreshing. Stewing chicken needs to be cooked longer so I used a pressure cooker. Stewing (hens) chicken yield delicious and rich, flavorful chicken stock. Check your local Asian grocery store for stewing chicken at the frozen section.
This dish reminds me of my hometown, Iloilo City where we usually uses native or "Bisaya" chicken when we making tinola dishes.
How to cook Stewing Chicken Tinola
Check out the step by step guide on how to make this delicious chicken and vegetables soup. Learn how to make this easy and simple stewing chicken tinola dish by watching the Chicken Tinola video above.
Create this delicious and easy to follow stewing chicken tinola. Use whatever chicken you have and it will definitely taste as good. Tinolang Manok is traditionally with papaya and pepper leaves. This version is with chayote or sayote with malunggay (moringa) leaves.
Another popular and Filipino classic recipe that is easy to cook. A comforting bowl of chicken tinola always hits the spot so make this today and share with family and friends. Save this recipe or Pin It for later use.
Don't forget to check related chicken recipes below. Click on the name link below the picture to see the complete recipe.
Follow and Subscribe to Casa Baluarte Facebook Page and Casa Baluarte YouTube videos for more delicious and easy to follow recipes.
- 2 tbsp olive or canola oil
- 2 thumb size ginger, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 lb stewing (hen) chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 large tomato, quartered
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 lemongrass
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 4 cups of water (add more if needed)
- 2 large chayote (sayote) peeled and quartered
- 1 small red bell pepper, julienne
- salt to taste
- 1 cup malunggay leaves
- In a pressure cooker, heat and add oil. Saute ginger, garlic and onion, and cook until limp. Add chicken pieces. Stir and cook for few minutes.
- Add tomatoes, ground pepper, lemongrass and fish sauce. Stir and cook 5 minutes until chicken turns light brown.
- Pour-in water and stir. Cover pressure cooker and cook for 25 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Add chayote and cook for 3 minutes. Add bell pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
- Add malunggay leaves and allow to cook for a minute. Turn off the heat and serve hot. Enjoy!
(click on name link below the picture to see complete recipe)
|Chicken Arroz Caldo|
|Chicken Curry Soup|
|Chicken Adobo sa Gata|