Bicol Express with Sitaw Recipe
How to make Bicol Express with Sitaw
Bicol Express with Sitaw is a spicy Filipino pork stew slow simmered in coconut milk or coconut milk with bagoong and lots of chili peppers. Bicol Express is also known as Sinilihan. Spicy rich in flavor and creamy, best when served with steamed rice.
If you like spicy dishes, you will surely love this Bicol Express with Sitaw recipe with the right balance of creaminess and spices. Watch the easy to follow cooking video on how to make Bicol Express with Sitaw below and don't forget to check related pork recipes below.
Follow Casa Baluarte on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Pinterest for more delicious home-cooking recipes and easy to follow cooking videos.
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 lb long (sitaw) beans, cut into 2-3 inches long
- 1 1/2 lb pork belly, cut into small cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 thumb size ginger, grated
- 6 pieces siling labuyo, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp bagoong alamang
- 1 cup water
- 400 ml coconut cream (kakang gata)
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper or to taste
- 1 tbsp fish sauce or to taste
- 1 tsp brown sugar or to taste (optional)
- 1 cup finger chilies
- Heat wide pan and add oil. Add long beans and cook for about 5 minutes. Remove long beans and set aside.
- In the same pan, add pork slices. Allow pork to cook until brown while stirring occasionally. Push pork to the sides of the pan and add onion. Saute for 30 seconds. Add garlic. Cook for a minute. Add ginger and stir well. Allow to cook until aromatic for about 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Add siling labuyo and stir to combine. Add bagoong alamang and cook for 2 minutes. Add water and stir. Cover pan and simmer for about 20 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Add coconut cream to the pan and mix well. Cover and continue to simmer over medium heat until pork is fully tender and sauce starts to thickens while stirring occasionally.
- Season with ground pepper, fish sauce to taste and sugar as needed. (sugar do help balance the saltiness of this dish)
- Add sitaw and finger chilies to the pan. Gently stir to combine and allow to cook for 2 minutes. remove pan from heat and transfer in a serving plate. Serve hot with steamed rice and enjoy!
(click on name links below the pictures to see complete recipes)