Sweet and Spicy Crunchy Dilis is a popular Filipino street food and a delicious snack. Best as pulutan or as an appetizer. I remember buying this all the time growing up in the Philippines. It is one of those snack that you can't stop munching once you start. This recipe I found in the web is pretty simple. The taste is close to the Dilis appetizer they serve when you eat at those Korean Barbecue restaurant.
- 2 cups dried dilis, the smaller the better
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoon tamarind sinigang powder
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 jalopeno, chopped fine
- Place dilis in a big bowl. Rinse quick with cold water and drain. Pay dry using a paper towel. That will make the dried dilis less salty.
- Pre heat wide pan or a wok in high heat and add dilis. Stir and toss to cook dilis for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Using a sauce pan, mix sugar and water. Mix well and cook in medium heat until sugar is fully melted and beginning to turn brownish.
- Stir in sinigang powder, jalopeno and garlic.
- Mix well and combine dilis to the sauce. Keep tossing until well combines.
- Allow to cool for few minutes then serve. Enjoy!