Cassava Suman is pretty easy to make using simple ingredients. Others add coconut milk to this recipe but I prefer it without so I can really savor the cassava and the young coconut.
Watch the video below to visually guide you on how to make cassava suman or alupi.
Check related recipes below. Click on the name link below the picture to see complete recipe.
Follow Casa Baluarte on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Pinterest for more delicious and easy to follow recipes and cooking video.
- 1 cup grated cassava, drained well
- 1/2 cup grated young coconut, drained well
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- banana leaves
- In a wide bowl, combine grated cassava, sugar, vanilla extract and young grated coconut. Mix well to combine. Set aside.
- Rinse and wipe dry the banana leaves. Pass the banana leaves one by one over the flame to make it easy to fold.
- Place a piece of banana leaf on a flat surface. Scoop a spoonful onto a banana leaf. Roll/fold leaf tightly and fold both ends. Tie using a kitchen twine or using a peace of banana leaves. repeat steps until all cassava mixture are wrapped. Arrange in a steamer and steam for about 35 minutes. Remove from heat. and allow to cool for few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
TIP: With this cassava mixture you can make around 12 cassava suman unless you want a bigger suman then use 2 tablespoon per wrapper and steam for additional 10-15 minutes.
(click on name link below the picture to see complete recipe)
|Nilagang Kamoteng Kahoy|
|Ginataang Kamoteng Kahoy|
|Steamed Cassava Cake|