Chicken Pochero Recipe
Chicken Pochero Ilonggo style is a simple and delicious Filipino chicken stew with vegetables like cabbages, cooking banana and more.
|Chicken Pochero with Fried Bangus Tinapa|
Pochero is one of my dad's favorite to cook for the family reason why me and my siblings like vegetables but his Pochero is always packed with pork with fat and longanisa.
I know this recipe is missing sitaw or long beans but hubby has been avoiding those for health reason so add if you want. I also removed the chicken skin so it's up to you to do so.
- 2 lbs chicken parts (breast and thigh), cut into serving size
- 1 large potato, cut into 4
- 1 large carrot, cut into serving size
- 1 large plantain banana or 2 banana saba
- 1 large eggplant, cut into serving size
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut
- 1 medium cabbage, cut thick
- 1 small bunch of napa cabbage or pechay
- 1 thumb size ginger, sliced thin
- 1 medium onion, cut into 4
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1 tbsp olive oil or any
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 whole peppercorn
- 5 cups chicken broth or water
- Using a big pot, heat in medium heat and add olive oil.
- Add ginger, onion and garlic. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken and stir. Cook for 5 minutes or until chicken turns a little brown.
- Season with salt and ground pepper. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add carrots and potato. Stir and cook for few minutes.
- Add chicken broth or water to the pot, cover and bring into a quick boil.
- Once it starts to boil reduce heat to medium low and continue to simmer until chicken is almost fully cooked.
- Add cooking banana and continue cooking until vegetables are almost fully cooked.
- Taste test if more salt is needed. You can also use fish sauce instead of salt if you want.
- Add eggplant and bell peppers and cook for few minutes.
- Add cabbages to the pot and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and serve hot with your favorite side dish and rice. Enjoy.
RELATED (click name link to see complete recipe)