Chicken Adobo is so easy to make and it is the national dish of the Philippines. Chicken Adobo has many versions like cooked in coconut milk, with ginger and honey, or mixed pork and chicken and more. Left over Chicken Adobo can also be made into adobo rice, so delicious! Chicken Adobo is one of the most requested Filipino dish specially for parties or any gathering and kids love it!
Chicken Adobo is a popular Filipino dish made of chicken with bone cooked in soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, bay leaves and pepper. Chicken Adobo is a simple and tasty Filipino comfort food and an easy dinner for the entire family. This flavorful chicken adobo recipe only requires few ingredients and no marinating needed. The chicken is browned in oil and garlic. Simmered until sauce thickens and falling off the bones then topped with fried garlic before serving. I also added a teaspoon of brown sugar for that sweet, salty, tangy goodness.
If you have never tried chicken adobo, then it's time to make this at easy and simple chicken adobo home. Make it and share with family and friends. Save this delicious recipe or Pin It for later. This is best paired with warm rice. Don't forget other related adobo recipes below.
- 2 lbs chicken legs and thighs, cut into serving sizes
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1 tsp achuete (annato) powder
- 1 whole garlic head, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 3/4 cup vinegar
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- salt to taste
- 1 cup water
- In a wok, heat over medium heat and add cooking oil. Add achuete powder and stir.
- Fry garlic for few minutes until crisp and golden brown. Remove half of the fried garlic and set aside.
- Add chicken to the wok and cook until light brown for about 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Pour in water, soy sauce and vinegar. Add ground pepper and brown sugar. Allow to boil uncovered for at least 5 minutes before stirring.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until sauce starts to thickens and chicken falling off the bones. Taste to see if salt and more ground pepper is needed. Add accordingly.
- Transfer in a serving dish and top with fried garlic. Serve warm with hot steam rice and enjoy!
(click on name link below the picture to see complete recipe)
|Pork and Chicken Adobo|
|Chicken Adobo sa Gata|
|Chicken Adobo with Ginger and Honey|