Ampalaya with Chicken is a quick and easy dish that is not only nutritious but also delicious. The hoisin sauce compliments the bitter melon and chicken. You can use oyster sauce and sugar if hoisin sauce is not available.
This dish can be made with beef or pork instead of chicken but the cooking time will be longer. This Ampalaya with Chicken is so simple and easy to make, ready in less than 30 minutes. This dish is very tasty with a little bitterness.
Ampalaya also known as Bitter-melon is very high in nutrients and one of my favorite vegetables. Avoid stirring the vegetables when cooking as it squeezes more of the bitter flavor of the ampalaya. Rub the pieces of ampalaya with rock salt and do a quick rinse in running water to make it a less bitter or just slice it thin.
If you like ampalaya dishes, then this simple recipe is a must try! Make it and share with family and friends. You will be surprised, kids might like it too.
Save this recipe or Pin It for later. Also, don't forget related Ampalaya recipes below. Click on the name link below the picture to see complete recipe.
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1/2 lb boneless chicken, sliced into thin strips
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce (or 1 tbsp oyster sauce + 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 small red bell pepper, julienned
- 1/2 cup water
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- 2 large ampalaya, seeded and sliced into 1/2 inch thin
- 1 tsp cornstarch diluted in 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- In a wide pan, heat and add cooking oil. Add onion, garlic and ginger. Saute for a minute until aromatic.
- Add chicken pieces and stir. Cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat or until chicken turns light brown and fully cooked.
- Season chicken with hoisin sauce and soy sauce. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add bell peppers and stir. Cook for a minute.
- Pour-in water and bring into a quick boil. Add salt and ground pepper to taste.
- Add ampalaya (do not stir or cover the pan), Allow ampalaya to cook for about 3-5 minutes or until tender yet crisp.
- Pour-in cornstarch diluted in water and gently stir. Cook for a minute and turn off the heat.
- Pour-in sesame and do a quick stir.
- Transfer in a serving plate and serve hot with steamed white or brown rice. Enjoy!
(click on name link below the picture to see complete recipe)
|Ginisang Ampalaya with Shrimp and Egg|
|Ginisang Monggo with Ampalaya, Pork and Chicharon|
|Chicken Ampalaya with Oyster Sauce|
|Paksiw na Bangus with Ampalaya|