Ginataang Kalabasa with Daing
Ginataang Kalabasa with Daing or squash cooked in coconut milk with fried dried fish is a simple Filipino dish yet very delicious and flavorful. This ginataan dish is so easy to make and takes less than 30 minutes using basic ingredients.
Create this delicious and easy to follow recipe. The steps below should guide you on how to make Ginataang Kalabasa with Daing. Watch the video below to visually guide you every step of the way.
Ginataang Kalabasa with Daing is one of my favorite Filipino dish cooked in coconut milk. It's like having my two favorite dish (gata and dried fish) in one. This Filipino dish is commonly served with steamed white rice, correction, extra rice.
Ginataang Kalabasa is also known as Nilatik or Nilutik where the kalabasa or squash is simmered in coconut milk until sauce becomes thick. Use shrimps instead of dried fish but remember to add the shrimps towards the last few minutes instead of the fried dried fish.
Give this delicious Ginataang Kalabasa with Daing or dried fish recipe a try. Make it and share with family and friends. Save this recipe or Pin It for future use.
Check related recipes below. Click on the name link below the picture to see complete recipe.
- 2 pieces daing (dried fish) or shrimp
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sauteed shrimp paste (gisadong bagoong)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 can (13.5 ounces) coconut milk
- 2-3 cups kalabasa (squash) cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup malunggay leaves
- salt to taste
- cooking oil
- Rinse dried fish in running water for few times. Pat dry and set aside. In a pan, heat and add cooking oil. Fry dried fish until golden brown (about 2 minutes). Remove from oil and set aside.
- In a clean pan, heat and add 2 tablespoon cooking oil. Saute onion and garlic until aromatic. Add sauteed shrimp paste and saute over low heat for 2 minutes.
- Pour-in water and season with ground black pepper. Pour-in coconut milk and stir to combine. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Add squash and stir to combine. Cover and simmer for another 10 minutes or until squash is fully cooked and sauce starts to thickens.
- Add malunggay leaves and stir gently, and cook for a minute. Add fried dried fish and simmer for 3 minutes. Add salt if needed. Remove from heat and serve hot with lots of steamed rice. Enjoy!
(click on name link below the picture to see complete recipe)
|Ginataang Langka with Daing|
|Ginataang Sitaw with Shrimp|