Here is how to make a delicious Chicken ala Bistek, the chicken version of the Filipinos favorite Bistek Tagalog recipe. Chicken Bistek is so easy to make and budget friendly. Flavorful and savory best served with steamed rice.
The process requires the chicken to be marinated in soy sauce and calamansi juice for at least an hour before cooking. I would say Chicken Bistek is the healthier version of Bistek. It is just as tasty as the beef version and a great addition to busy weeknights meal.
Learn how to make Chicken Bistek by watching the cooking video below. The instructions below should guide you every step of the way. Check related recipes below, click on the name link below the picture to see complete recipe.
- 1 lb boneless chicken thighs (legs or breast)
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp brown sugar (optional but it sure does taste good)
- 6 pieces calamansi juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 medium white onion, sliced into rings
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup water
- salt as needed
- In a bowl, combine chicken, ground pepper, sugar, calamansi juice and soy sauce. Massage marinade into chicken meat and refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight. Drain the chicken and set aside remaining marinade.
- In a wide pan, heat and add cooking oil. Quick fry onion and set aside. Cook garlic until light brown and set aside.
- Using the same pan, cook marinated chicken until light browned for about 5 minutes. Add water and remaining marinade. Taste test to see if salt is needed and add accordingly. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked and sauce starts to thickens.
- Garnish with fried onions and garlic. Stir gently to combine. Serve hot with steamed rice and enjoy!
(click on name link below the picture to see complete recipe)
|Bangus ala Pobre|
|Bistek with Potatoes|