Here is how to cook Paksiw na Hiwas also known as Moon Fish, Bilong Bilong in Ilonggo. Paksiw is a Filipino cooking style where fish is simmered in garlic and vinegar. It is a quick and easy way to prepare a fish dish.
Paksiw na Isda is a Filipino comfort food. Not only delicious but also budget-friendly. Paksiw na Hiwas or Pinaksiw nga Bilong Bilong is best served with garlic or steamed rice.
Watch the Paksiw na Hiwas cooking video below. The instructions below should guide you every step of the way. Check related recipe below, click on name link below the picture to see complete recipe.
- 2 thumb size ginger, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 lb moon fish (hiwas / bilong bilong), cleaned
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 finger chili, sliced
- salt to taste
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- Arrange half of the ginger and garlic in a pan. Top with moon fish, ground pepper, the rest of ginger and garlic, and onions. Pour-in vinegar, soy sauce and water. Add finger chili and simmer for 5 minutes uncovered.
- Cover and continue to simmer over medium-low heat for about 15 minutes or until fish is cooked.
- Season with salt and add cooking oil. Allow to simmer for another 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and serve with garlic fried or steamed rice. Enjoy!
(click on name link below the picture to see complete recipe)
|Sinigang na Isda|