Paksiw na Galunggong
Paksiw na Galunggong is my favorite paksiw na Isda also when it comes to fried fish. Galunggong is also known as mackerel scad. It is a popular and a common fish in the Philippines. It used to be a cheap fish but not during my last visit in the Philippines as it cost almost the same as other kind of fish. My other favorite method of cooking galunggong is fried and grilled in charcoal specially when fresh.
Paksiw is a type of Filipino cooking method where you cook and simmer the fish or meat in vinegar with onions, garlic and other common vegetable like eggplant, bitter melon, okra and more. You can also add coconut milk in some other dishes specially with fish. Paksiw na Isda is quick and simple to make.
Give this Paksiw na Galunggong recipe a try. Make it today and share with the family and friends. Watch the video below on how to make a delicious paksiw na isda and make sure to make extra rice. Don't forget to check related recipes below. Click on the name link below to see complete recipes.
Follow Casa Baluarte Recipes on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Pinterest for more delicious home-cooking recipes and easy to follow cooking videos. For question or concern, leave a comment below or email me at email@example.com or send me a message on my Facebook page or YouTube channel.
- 2 thumb size ginger, sliced thin
- 1 lb galunggong (mackerel scad), cleaned and rinsed well
- 6 cloves of garlic, sliced thin
- 1 large red onion, quartered
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper or to taste
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1-2 tbsp canola oil
- chili peppers (optional or to taste)
- 3 green onions, sliced
- banana leaves (optional)
- Using a wide pan, arrange ginger, galunggong, garlic, onions, tomatoes, ground pepper and salt. Add vinegar and water. Let it boil uncovered for about 10 minutes.
- Add canola oil, chili peppers and green onions. Top with banana leaves and cover pan. Reduce heat to simmer and continue to cook for about 20-30 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Continue to cook until fish is cooked and liquid is reduced. Transfer in a serving plate and serve with how steamed rice. Enjoy!
(click on name link below the picture to see complete recipes)