Sweet and Sour Tilapia
My version on how to make a Sweet and Sour Fish using Tilapia.
Here is an easy recipe on how to make Sweet and Sour Tilapia. Simple to make yet full of flavors and so delicious specially when served with rice. Feel free to use other kind of fish like bulgan or maya-maya instead of tilapia. This Sweet and Sour Tilapia is similar to the Filipino fish dish called Escabeche where fish is deep fried until brown and fully cooked then topped with sweet and sour sauce and some vegetables.
Sweet and Sour Tilapia is easy to prepare. Brings your plain fried fish to a special dish. Great recipe too for day old fried fish. Make and share this Sweet and Sour Tilapia. Easy to make a perfect recipe for busy weeknights. Watch the short cooking video below to see how simple to make Sweet and Sour Tilapia using simple ingredients. Don't forget to check related recipes below. Click on name links below the pictures to see complete recipes.
Follow and Subscribe to Casa Baluarte Recipes on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Pinterest for more delicious home-cooking recipes and easy to follow cooking videos.
- 1-2 lbs tilapia, cleaned, gutted, rinse well and pat dry
- 1 tbsp flour
- cooking oil
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 3 cloved of garlic, chopped
- 1 small carrot, sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- chopped green onions for garnishing
For the Sauce:
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch diluted in 1/4 cup water
- Season tilapia with a little salt and lightly coat with flour. Set aside.
- Heat enough oil and fry tilapia over medium-high heat until nicely brown and fully cooked. Remove from pan, drain excess oil and place in a wide plate.
- For the Sauce: Combine pineapple juice, vinegar, water, ketchup, brown sugar, ground pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste and cornstarch diluted in water. Stir until well combined and set aside.
- In a clean pan, heat and add 2 tablespoon oil. Saute ginger and garlic for about a minute over medium heat. Add carrots and allow to cook for about a minute. Add bell peppers and cook for about 30 seconds. Add onions and chunks of pineapple. Gently stir and cook for about 30 seconds. Add sauce mixture and gently stir. Allow to simmer for about 5 minutes until sauce starts to thickens.
- Top fried tilapia with the sweet and sour sauce and garnish with chopped green onions. Serve warm with steamed rice and enjoy!
(click on name links below the pictures to see complete recipes)