Pork Bistek Recipe
How to cook Pork Bistek or Pork Steak Filipino style
Pork Bistek also known as Pork Steak is the pork version of Filipinos famous Bistek Tagalog. Pork Bistek is cheaper and a popular Filipino pork dish where pork slices is marinated and simmered on calamansi, soy sauce, ground pepper and garlic. Adding sugar is an option and sugar sure do balance the saltiness and sourness of this Pork Bistek recipe.
Bistek Tagalog is usually cooked with beef but can also be made using pork, chicken and even fish. Bistek is simple to make and most ingredients can easily find in your pantry. Pork Bistek is so delicious specially when served with steamed fried rice and is a perfect Filipino comfort food.
Watch the easy to follow cooking video ☝ on how to cook Pork Bistek or Pork Steak Filipino style. Don't forget to check related pork recipes below. Click on name links below the pictures to see complete recipes. Follow Casa Baluarte Recipes on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Pinterest for more delicious home-cooking recipes and easy to follow cooking videos.
- 2 lbs pork chops
- 1/ 2 cup calamansi juice
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper or to taste
- 1 tbsp brown sugar or to taste
- 1 head garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1 cup water
- salt to taste or as needed
- 2-3 white or red onions, sliced
- In a wide bowl, combine pork chops, calamansi juice, soy sauce, ground pepper, sugar and garlic. Massage the marinade into the pork and marinate for 2 hours to overnight.
- Drain pork and garlic from marinade and reserve extra liquid.
- Heat wide pan and add oil. Pan fry marinated pork chops in medium heat until lightly browned for 3-5 minutes per side. Remove excess oil leaving about 2 tablespoons or as needed. Add marinated garlic and cook for about a minute.
- Return browned pork chops to the pan. Gently stir to combine. Add reserved liquid and water. Gently stir and cover pan. Simmer over medium heat for about 30-45 minutes until pork is tender and liquid is reduced while stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and sugar as needed, and half of the sliced onions. Gently stir. Cover pan and let it cook for 2 minutes. Add remaining onions and remove pan from the heat. Transfer in a serving plate and serve with steamed rice. Enjoy!
(click on name links below the pictures to see complete recipes)