- 1 cup mung beans (monggo)
- 8 cups water
- 2 tbs. cooking oil
- 1 tsp. ginisang bagoong
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups chicharon (pork cracklings)
- 1-2 cups of sliced ampalaya (bitter melon) optional
- 1 cup dahon ng sili (pepper leaves) or dahon malunggay
- 1 tbs. fish sauce
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Bring water into a boil, once water starts to boil add mung beans and lower heat. Continue to cook until beans are fully cooked. Add more water if needed. Set aside.
- Saute garlic and onion in cooking oil until light brown. Add bagoong and stir. Cook for few minutes in low heat.
- Add boiled monggo beans to the sautéed bagoong and stir well Bring to a quick boil and season with fish sauce. Continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Add chicharon and cook for few minutes in low heat. Season with salt and ground pepper to taste.
- Add bitter melon and cook for few minutes. Remember not to stir. Add dahon sili, cover pot and allow to cook for 2 minutes. *you can skip on the bitter melon if you want, just add dahon sili instead or other vegetables desired*
- Remove pot from heat and serve hot with a side of fish sauce and steam rice. Enjoy.
RELATED (click name link to see complete recipe: