Leche Flan Cake is a delicious Filipino dessert also known as Custard Cake. It is a caramel custard or leche flan on a light and fluffy sponge cake makes it two in one dessert.
This is my first time making Leche Flan Cake and it was a success. I was just going to make leche flan and a chocolate cake for the holiday but then decided I want to make it more special so why not make Leche Flan Cake the easier way. Instead of adding the cake mixture on top of the raw flan mixture, I decided to steam bake the flan first before adding the cake mixture then back to the oven.
This Leche Flan Cake recipe is worth a try. It is so creamy rich,delicious and great for parties or pot lucks. Make it a day before, refrigerate and serve cold. Check related recipes below by clicking the name link to see complete recipe.
For the Caramel
- 1 cup sugar
Using a circular baking pan, heat and pour in sugar. Cook over medium-low heat until the sugar melts or turns into caramel. Do not mix. Cook until golden brown.
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup condensed milk
- 1/2 tsp lemon rinds
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat egg-yolks in a mixing bowl.
- Add evaporated milk, condensed milk and lemon rinds. Stir until the ingredients is properly distributed.
- Strain mixture and gently pour on the baking pan with caramel.
- Place the flan pan in a larger baking pan half filled with water.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until flan is fully cooked.
- Remove baking pan from the oven and allow to cool.
- 1/2 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks (save egg whites for meringue)
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk with 1/4 water
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- 1 tsp lemon rind
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 egg whites
- Sift flour and baking powder.
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg yolks for about 2 minutes.
- Gradually add cake flour, sugar, oil and milk diluted in water. Mix well with a whisk.
- Add lemon rind and beat until texture is smooth. Set aside.
- Combine egg whites and cream of tartar in a bowl. Beat using an electric mixer until frothy.
- Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff but not dry for about 5 minutes.
- Fold egg-yolk mixture gently into egg-white mixture using a large scraper. Careful not to deflate egg whites.
- Pour into the pan over cooled custard and bake for 45 minutes or until cake is fully cooked.
- Allow the Leche Flan Cake to cool or refrigerate overnight.
- Run a knife gently around the pan and invert cakes onto serving platter. Enjoy!
(click name link below the picture to see complete recipe(s).
|Chocolate Cake in Tin Can|
|Chocolate Yema Cake|