Chicken and Egg Rice Bowl or Katsudon is one of my favorite Japanese food. I have been wanting to make this delicious recipe for the longest time but keep on forgetting to get one ingredient that you can only buy from an Asian grocery store. It's a perfect dish for a busy day, so easy to make and you can deep fry the breaded chicken, beef or pork ahead of time.
Chicken and Egg Rice Bowl is a deep fried chicken and eggs cooked in a sweet and salty broth and placed over rice. Chicken and Egg Rice Bowl is known as Japanese Katsudon. Katsudon is a fried, panko breaded chicken, beef or pork cutlet with eggs, sauteed onions and a sweet and savory sauce placed over rice.
Why order or eat out when you can make a delicious and flavorful Chicken and Egg Rice Bowl or Katsudon at home. A great recipe using left over fried chicken or fried pork chops. This recipe is worth a try. Make it and surprise your family with this simple and delicious dish. .
Yield: 4 servings
Fried Chicken Ingredients:
- 1 lb chicken thighs or breast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 3 eggs
- 2 cup breadcrumbs (Panko Flakes Bread Crumbs)
- 2 cups flour
- cooking oil for frying
Fried Chicken Instructions
- Pound the chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roll chicken in flour, then in egg, and in breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- Heat pan over medium-high and add enough cooking oil to cover the chicken.
- Deep fry breaded chicken for about 2-3 minutes each side until golden brown and crisp.
- Remove and drain excess oil using a paper towel. Set aside.
Egg and Broth Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock (or 2 chicken bouillon and 1 1/2 cup warm water combined)
- 2 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 6 tbsp Mirin (Japanese sweet cooking seasoning)
- 5 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 2 green onion, chopped for garnishing
- steamed white rice for serving
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- Combine seasoning (chicken broth, soy sauce, mirin and sugar). Stir well to dissolve sugar.
- In a wide pan, heat over medium heat and add cooking oil.
- Add onions to the pan and saute until limp and translucent.
- Pour in seasoning to the pan and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add fried chicken to the pan and simmer for few minutes.
- Pour in beaten eggs evenly and cover. Simmer for few minutes until the eggs are just cooked.
- Add chopped green onions and remove pan from heat.
- Fill each bowl with steam rice and top with chicken and egg mixture. Serve hot and enjoy!
(click name link below the picture to see complete recipe)
|Garlic Noodles with Beef|
|Beef Stir Fry|
|Chili Garlic Shrimp|
|Thai Chicken Curry|