Bell Pepper Relleno (Stuffed Bell Peppers)
Bell Pepper Relleno also known as Rellenong Bell Pepper or Stuffed Bell Pepper is so delicious and a healthy Filipino dish. This rellenong bell pepper reminds me of my late mother in law, how I wish I got her recipe but my husband who is a fan of this dish said, I make it just as good as his mom or he just don't have a choice. My husbands favorite and now became mine too!
Filipinos have varieties of Relleno such as Rellenong Bangus, Rellenong Talong and Rellenong Chicken. The common filling is a mix of ground meat and vegetables. Bell Pepper Relleno is not as popular as Rellenong Bangus but if you like bell peppers then this simple recipe is a must try. You can either bake it or fry but I prefer baking and easier. I personally love the sweetness of the red bell peppers but you can use whatever your prefer most.
This stuffed bell pepper recipe is amazing! You can use ground beef or pork instead of chicken but using ground chicken makes this dish healthier and I can't taste the difference. Make sure you get bell peppers that are even on the bottom so they don't fall over. Bake it from 25-30 minutes depending on how soft you like it.
Try this now! Make it and share with family and friends. Let me know what you think of this delicious bell pepper recipe. Save this Bell Pepper Relleno recipe or Pin It for later. Enjoy a delicious homemade Rellenong Bell Pepper. Don't be afraid to change the vegetables ingredients a little as they are very adaptable. Check related recipes below.
- 3 large red bell peppers
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb ground chicken breast (or any ground meat)
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 1 small potato, chopped
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 3 tbsp chopped red bell pepper
- 3 tbsp chopped green bell pepper
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- cooking oil spray
- Cut the tops of the bell peppers. Scoop out the seeds and membranes. Wash well and pat dry.
- In a wide pan, heat and add cooking oil. Add onion and garlic. Saute for a minute over medium heat until fragrant.
- Add ground chicken and cook until light brown for about 5 minutes.
- Add raisins, carrots and potatoes. Stir and cook for 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are fully cooked.
- Add bell peppers and season with salt and ground pepper to taste. Cook for a minute and turn off the heat. Drizzle with sesame oil and transfer the mixture in a bowl. Allow to cool completely.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 and spray or brush baking pan with oil.
- Beat egg and pour in the meat/vegetables mixture. Add cornstarch and stir well to combine.
- Fill each pepper with the meat/vegetables mixture. Top with grated cheese if you want.
- Place peppers upright in the baking pan and spray or brush with more oil. Bake for 25-30 minutes depending on how soft you like it.
- Transfer in a serving plate and serve warm. Enjoy!
(click on name link below the picture to see complete recipe)