Chicken Pochero (Ilonggo Version)
This Chicken Pochero recipe is the Ilonggo version I grew up in Iloilo City. We don't put tomato sauce or garbanzos but it is just as delicious and nutritious! Feel free to add tomato sauce if needed, just add it the same time with water before simmering the chicken.
Learn how to make a simple Chicken Pochero with this easy recipe. The instructions below should guide you on how to make Chicken Pochero, the Ilonggo version. Watch the video below to visually guide you every step of the way.
Chicken Pochero, Ilonggo version is a Filipino stew made with chicken sauteed and simmered in water or chicken stock until tender. My favorite with this Ilonggo dish is the variations of vegetables used. The banana saba and the sweet potato makes the soup a little sweeter and more tasty.
Give this simple yet delicious Chicken Pochero recipe a try. Add few more cups of water or chicken stock if you want it more soupy. Cook the vegetables more longer if needed. My hubby likes the cabbage crunchy so I always try not to overcook it.
Make this today and share with family and friends or save this recipe or Pin It for future use. Serve this chicken and vegetables soup dish with fish sauce on the side for dipping the vegetables.
Check related recipes below. Click on the name link below the picture to see complete recipes. Follow us on FACEBOOK or YOU-TUBE for updates and more delicious and easy to follow cooking videos.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 large tomato, sliced
- 1 1/2 lb chicken wings or any chicken part
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 4-5 cups of chicken stock or water (add more if you want it more soupy)
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 sweet potato, cut into 4
- 1 medium potato, cut into 4
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or add to taste
- 1 large eggplant, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 cooking banana (saba or plantain)
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small head cabbage, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 bundle pechay
- In a deep pan or a pot, heat and add cooking oil. Saute onion and garlic until aromatic. Add tomatoes and cook until limp. Add chicken pieces and cook until light brown. Season with ground pepper and fish sauce.
- Pour-in chicken stock or water and simmer over medium-low heat for 15 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Add carrots, sweet potato and potato. Stir and cook for 3 minutes or until cooked half-way. Add eggplant and cooking banana. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add more salt or more fish sauce to taste.
- Add bell pepper and cabbage. Cook for another 3 minutes. Add pechay and cook for another minute or two. (you can cook the vegetables for few more minutes longer, depends on how you like it.
- Transfer in a serving bowl and serve hot with a side of fish sauce for dipping the vegetables. Enjoy with steamed rice.