Bicol Express is a spicy Filipino stew where pork is cooked in coconut milk, shrimp paste and chili peppers. Bicol Express is a popular Filipino dish also known as Sinilihan. Spicy rich in flavor and creamy. So delicious specially when served hot over steamed rice.
If you like spicy food, then you will surely love this Bicol Express recipe. The right balance of cream and spices. Easy to make using simple ingredients. A classic Filipino dish where pork is simmered to perfection.
Check out this easy Bicol Express recipe. Watch the easy to follow cooking video below. The instructions below will guide you every step of the way. Related recipes below, click on the name link below the picture to see complete recipe.
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 lbs pork belly, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tbsp fresh shrimp paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (13.5 oz) coconut milk
- 12-15 Thai chili (siling labuyo) peppers , chopped
- ground pepper and salt to taste
- 12-15 finger chilies, sliced
- Heat pan and add cooking oil over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until limp. Add pork belly and cook until slightly browned. Add shrimp paste. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Pour-in water and simmer for about 15 minutes. Pour-in coconut milk and simmer until pork is tender and liquid is reduced for about 15 minutes.
- Add Thai chili peppers, ground pepper and salt to taste. Allow to cook for few minutes. Add finger chilies. Stir and cook for a minute. Transfer in a serving dish and serve with lots of steamed rice. Enjoy!
(Click on name lick below the picture to see complete recipe)